(46,XY,+EtOH)

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Idealism returns like the herp

Manipulative medicine is taking more out of DocAMAZING than first expected. My clinic’s operating hours are 9 to 5, give or take the sum of those two numbers. So, except for one odd day out, I’ve been in clinic until 6 o’clock or, like today, 7:20. Tack on an hour’s drive home, forty minute workout, dinner #2, meaningful chatter with the missus, checking the latest dirt on my favorite BDSM anime forums, and bedtime snack and there’s not much time for working on the paper that is due at the end of the rotation. Yes, a paper is due at the end of the rotation. It feels very high school-like, such as when a teacher realizes that watching Tombstone for three class periods was not entirely justifiable and bookends the last day with a paper due comparing Doc Holliday’s motives with those of The Outsiders protagonist Pony Boy.

This rotation has been piquing my idealism in medicine again, though. It may be the actual patient contact that’s doing it. I actually switched with another person for this doctor because of his gentle, more focused, osteopathic manipulative technique. My first doc was known for what he called the “good ol’ fashioned osteopathy” of whipping joints at high velocity counter to other joints in positions that can only be likened to techniques seen in the “good ol’ fashioned Spanish Inquisition”. I feel that the ‘joint cracking’ that I thought was so cool the first year may sound and look effective, but they do little to reduce the ‘gamma gain’ that caused the lesion in the first place. In other words, I think it doesn’t really help the problem. It’s kinda like that three-pack of azithromycin you got last winter for the sniffles.

--------

On a side note, I've got good news for smokers that comes directly from one of my lunchtime study sessions: It turns out that smoking is protective against ulcerative colitis. Smokers are only a third as likely to get the dysentery and ulcerous rectum of UC than the rest of us non-smoking suckers. However, smokers are twice more likely to get the intestinal blockage and gastrointestinal fistulas of Crohn’s disease than us non-smoking smarties. But if you work it out mathematically I think smokers are still ahead of us in avoiding debilitating GI tract disorders by sixty-six something-or-others. Euros, I think. So smokers everywhere can hack a large wad of relief as their intestines remain the envy of us, the ignorant white-toothed masses, while their lungs turn the texture of Bea Arthur’s elbow skin. (covered in tar, natch)

4 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Charles said...

i followed around an osteopath in school and learned the manipulation stuff. as far as i can tell by looking at evidence-based studies and metanalysis, that stuff is equivalent to NSAIDs, more expensive, and sometimes risky. i don't do any of it in my practice, preferring physical therapists. cool photo, i've seen that one before somewhere (my own blog i think?!)

12:39 PM, October 13, 2005

 
Anonymous dr charles said...

dude, you're boring.

i came here 'cuz i thought you were the real doc amazing.

stick to your textbooks.

3:04 PM, October 15, 2005

 
Blogger Shazam! said...

Hey, I clicked on your comment to Doc Charles, because I thought you were me! (Doc Shazam and Doc Amazing look a little similar).

Anyway, as a 3rd year MD student, I chose to shadow an osteopath because I wanted to learn more about manipulation. He didn't do a single speck of it, although he was really smart.

I would still like to learn more about it because I do feel it is therapeutic, although I'm not sure hwo many different techniques there are, I'm sure some work better htan others.

Since my own L5/s1 disk explosion, I am less than excited about reccomending high velocity maneuvers.

11:13 PM, October 16, 2005

 
Blogger dokan sam said...

Osteopath is a therapist who manipulates the skeleton and muscles. We are committed to providing you and your family the highest levels of osteopathic care as cost effectively as possible. . I have read it carefully and wow really awesome.
Osteopath

2:30 PM, April 14, 2013

 

Post a Comment

<< Home