(46,XY,+EtOH)

Sunday, November 06, 2005

My ward has 3 Jesuses and an FBI secret agent

I WANT TO BELIEVE

I like psych. This bothers me because I've got too many preconceived notions about psychiatry and psychiatrists to unlearn. But as time goes on I'm finding that the docs actually know stuff about internal medicine and are pretty thoughtful, and that many of these patients would be pretty destructive to themselves and others without treatment. Furthermore, many treatments, including electro-convulsive therapy, actually seem to work without dulling the patients' personality.

DAMMIT!

Much of psychiatric treatment is more palliative than curative, and many 'successful' patients must be on medications for the rest of their lives. I don't know how I'd feel about getting into a profession where most people are never 'healed'. But regardless, against all of my previous rants, psychiatry is on my list of possible professions.

My feelings could also just be delerium from having to commute 3 hours a day. I will definitely enjoy my next rotation, where the clinic is just ten minutes from my house. Maybe then I'll actually get back to meaningful weekly posting.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site...
» »

7:27 AM, August 26, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm sooo glad I found your site, it's great...I hope you do go in to psychiatry, I think you would be good at it...you have the required sense of humor and sensitivity...thanks!

tracy
bakestuff@hotmail.com

11:15 AM, March 02, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home